Friday, March 25, 2011

Britney

      My friend Britney Waycaster Orndorff, that last name only became hers 3 months ago (just one week before Nick and I got married), passed away on Marh 11th due to a car accident. Britney and I grew up knowing each other through school and church functions, but had gotten closer the past few years. We sat together on the second row at church. On Sunday mornings, when Roy was away, Nick and Britney sat together and passed candy and gum back and forth! They were like 2 little kids! Most weeks the 4 of us (Brit, Roy, Nick and I) would sit together next to Ralph and Mary.

      Whenever Britney came in with her engagement ring on, I was so excited for her! I remember asking her when they were planning on getting married, and she said, "oh it will be a while." (I was neck deep in planning our wedding at the time.) It makes so much sense now that Britney, maybe just a week later came and told me that they were getting married in 6 weeks! (She got to experience the joys of being a wife before she left this Earth) That was going to be the week before Nick and I were getting married! I remember telling Mary (her aunt and the youth minister's wife) that I couldn't imagine planning my wedding in 6 weeks! She said, "you couldn't, but Britney can." That's how Britney was, she was very laid back and it didn't bother her to not be in charge and a control freak (....ok maybe a little like me....) Whenever Nick and I went to get Britney and Roy a wedding gift, I refused to go look at their registry and instead went to World Market and bought them a Popcorn Set. I cant remember exactly what the card said, I know it was funny and Roy made some remark to me about it afterwards, but I do remember writing "from someone who got tired of opening endless gifts of dishes and cookware,(though much appreciated) here's something fun" (or something to that effect!)

        On December 11th, it was raining terribly! It was the night of my bachelorette party but before all of that it was Britney and Roy's big day. I ran in soaking wet, and found a seat near the front on the bride's side. The wedding was sweet and low key. Just like Britney. Her nephew tripped and fell several times coming up the aisle as the ring bearer. We all laughed and then it was time for Britney to come down the aisle and she looked so beautiful! (She was actually in a dress, a rarity for those who knew Britney! And her mother MADE it!) I was sitting there watching these 2 friends of mine profess their love to each other and once it got time for the vows, I thought, "wow, those sound really familiar!" Ha they used the vows Nick and I picked out! After the ceremony, I went to the back to give Roy and Britney a hug and laughed with Britney telling her how familiar those vows were, she looked at me, laughed and said, "yeah they worked out good didn't they?" I said, "well that's something we will always share."

        Saying goodbye to Britney was very difficult. Thankfully the weekend of her passing was the weekend of the teen retreat, in which I chaperoned. There, I got to pour my heart out to my God and to my brothers and sisters, away from all the distractions of home. The joy I have is I know that I will see her again someday! When my friend Bruce died back in 2004 a verse that helped me get through was Isaiah 57:1-2. I have fallen back onto this verse many times since then to help me through. The verse says:
1 The righteous perish,
   and no one takes it to heart;
the devout are taken away,
   and no one understands
that the righteous are taken away
   to be spared from evil.
2 Those who walk uprightly
   enter into peace;
   they find rest as they lie in death.

Save me a seat beside you friend! I can't wait to worship our Lord together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment